Pop/Rock Performance and Songwriting Intensive (13-17 years)
POP/ROCK Performance & Songwriting camp is for teens & advanced tweens who have good instrumental proficiency in one area (such as voice, violin, guitar, bass, piano, or drums) but would like to branch out, and gain confidence in other areas as well. If you’re a guitar player who isn’t comfortable singing background vocals, or singing and playing, POP/ROCK camp is for you. If you’re a singer who would love to learn basic drum beats, and start writing your own songs and lyrics, POP/ROCK camp is for you. The camp is also open to orchestral string players who wish to learn a chord instrument (such as mandolin.) Students collaborate with their peers, to perform and arrange covers of well-known songs, and compose original songs (lyrics and music.)
– Group singing (gain enough confidence to carry a tune and harmonize)
– Songwriting / Composing / Lyrics & Rapping / Practical Music Theory
– Basic chord-playing skills on a secondary instrument
– Basic drumset instruction, including stick technique & the three most common pop-rock drumbeats
– Use of live electronics (loopers) & basic recording technology
– Coachings in collaborative groups.
The camp culminates in a performance which includes original songs, covers, jams, and recordings.
Dates: July 1 – 3, 2019
Age Group: 13-17 year olds
Number of participants: max. 12
Fee: $200 (Includes materials – but please bring your own instrument)
Lead Instructor: Steve Willard